Monday, June 18, 2007

My Dad

I know this is a day late, but I didn't get a chance to write this yesterday. Yesterday was Father's Day so I just wanted to say a few things about my dad. I couldn't have asked for a better one. I've grown up and seen lots of dads that aren't as involved in the lives of their kids, who didn't quite get the significance of spending quality time with their sons. My dad wasn't like that at all. I grew up playing baseball every summer from the time I was 5 until I was 18 years old and now playing some softball and baseball even now at 28. My dad was there all the time. He was there teaching me to play baseball before I was old enough to play city league. He was there cheering me on during the countless city league, all-star and high school games. He was sometimes critical but not overbearing when it came to teaching me about baseball. He didn't show favortism towards me the one time he got to be my head coach. I always respected that about him, being a victim of many coaches who thought their kid was the greatest to ever play. His role as dad went far beyond the baseball field though. He was a great role model for me and my brother. My dad overcame a lot of bad choices as a teen and young adult to become a patient yet stern Christian example that steered me to become the person I am today. He always told me that he loved me and my brother and many dads sadly don't say that to their kids. I'm lucky to blessed with two parents who love me as much as they do and I hope to be a good parent one day as well and my kid/s will be lucky to have two sets of grandparents who will help pass the love down to them.

Oh yeah, and my dad still comes to my softball and baseball games and it still means just as much now as it did when I was a kid.

No comments: